Baccalauréat – oral presentation
Document Neil Harbisson Ted Global 2012
Notion : The Idea of Progress, Myths and Heroes
I / a series of ideas and questions that may guide you for your preparation.
II / Underneath you will find how Neil Harbisson and his work have been « advancing » since 2012. This will also help you for your presentation.
I / Guidance for the Baccalaureat
1. With the first officially registered cyborg are we entering the era of a new species ?
2. If so, what for ?
– Correct nature ? –> achieve equality or some kind of counterweight for people with handicaps ?
– Or enhance humanity ?
3. What con account for (= explain) the humans´need to enhance humanity ?
4. What could be the benefits of engineering a superhuman species ?
5. What would be the consequences of a two-class society with humans and superhumans?
_ Also, according to Neil Harbisson designing ourselves is even a way to respond to the environmental issues we have caused as a species. Why ? Listen here from 3:15 to the end (it´s only 1:30 mn ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVywjSGHrw8
6. According to Neil Harbisson today « we can decide what species we want to be ». What opportunities could this possibility offer ? How would you decide to change our species ? Would you limit alterations to some extent or altogether ? why ?
7. Is cyborgism /transhumanism THE solution to compete with intelligently superior machines in the future ? Next time we will explore Elon Musk´s condiderations on this idea.
II / Further advances for Neil Harbisson, a cyborg under construction and emergence of other cyborgs
– Listen from 8:07 to 9:06 and from 25:05 to 27:09 to here https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=476&v=vAfO20TSa6o&feature=emb_title
He explains that 5 people in the world can send colours that he can perceive or even influence his dreams. He sees the Internet as a 6th sense and believes that more people will gradually consider it that way. Discover what other sense he is eager to develop (25:05 to 27:09)
– From 18:10 to 19:12–> about cyborg rights
– From 19:12 to : 22:08 other unbelievable cyborgs, among whom some can perceive things in space while remaining on the earth !
– And in the case you have a tooth missing one day, just have a look at what Neil Harbisson suggests you to do. From 22:04 to 24:00
– Do you consider Neil Harbisson as an artificial creature ? He does not deem (=considers) himself half human half machine. He rather believes that he is closer to nature now with his new senses than he has ever been before. Listen from 27:09 to 28:15 in order to find out why.