Is humanity about to embrace cyborgism to « correct » nature, enhance humans, or even solve environmental problems ? And what may be the risks or downsides ?
Between fascination and threat
How to use the page ?
This is the page for your English work from 13th January to 22nd January.
1)Scroll down to I- Neil Harbisson, follow the figures (1-vocabulary, 2- meet Neil Harbisson, etc). Look for the assignment sign that says what you have to do for this time period. The first assignment consists in recording yourself on the class´s padlet, reacting to the video of Neil Harbisson
2) Then, scroll down to II- Sophia the robot, follow the figures and look for the assignment sign. Record yourself on the class´s padlet about Sophia and the innovation that is presented in III in the same audio document.
3) Scroll down to « III-Do you often lose your keys », follow the figures, look for the assignment sign.
I-Neil Harbisson, the first officially recognized cyborg
Here is a list of vocabulary to help you understand the document
a condition : a defective state of health, a disease
a colour scale : a range / un éventail, un panel, une échelle de couleurs
a chip : une puce électronique
a cyborg : a creature that is part human, part machine.
a device : a piece of equipment that was made to do a particular job / dispositif, appareil.
2- Meet Neil Harbisson
Neil Harbisson is the first registered cyborg in the world.
What makes him so special ?
3- cHeck your unDerstanding
Here are a few questions to check your understanding. There are questions for levels B1-2 and B2-C1
Take notes and say what you think on the class´s padlet
Answer the 2 questions of your choice underneath. Also watch one or 2 of the two other videos posted here and report other amazing facts about Neil or cyborgism.
1. What about him can bring hope or threat for humanity ?
2. If you met him, what would you ask him ?
3. If you could enhance one of your senses, which one would it be ? What would you enhance it for ?
4. The fact that Britain accepted a photograph of him with the antenna on his passport is a sign of change. In what way ?
AND RESEARCH some new facts about Neil and cyborgism (watch 1 or 2 of the extra videos
Listen to « This is the Future »
Choose the passages you are interested about and watch « Neil Harbisson : the Renaissance of our Species »
from 2:30 to 9:10 : want to know more about the technology ?
from 8:10 to 9:10 : The Internet of people connected to him
from 15:45 : creating electronic music with faces
from 18:10 to 19:15 : cyborg rights
from 19:15 to 21:40 and 24:00 to 27:00 : other cyborgs and projects
from 21:40 to 24 :00 : what to do about a missing tooth ?
from 24:00 : 28:10 : why he feels close to Nature
II -Meet Sophia the robot
1- Sophia on the Tonight Show
How well can Sophia interact with Jimmy Fallon ? Watch from 4:30 onwords
2- Take notes
- What is fascinating, intriguing or threatening about Sophia ?
- Make a quick research about her status in Saoudi Arabia. How do you respond to the news ? Explain your reaction.
- How does Jimmy Fallon seem to feel about and around Sophia ? How can you account for / explain his attitude ?
III- Do you often lose your keys ? Here might be the solution
1- Discover the solution
2- React and take notes
- What problems can this innovation solve ?
- Some firms in Sweden and the US have thrown chip parties. In the future if you are invited by your employer at such a party, how will you react, do you think ? Explain.
- How would you feel if you had a chip in your hand ?
The Help is a film adaptation of a bestseller. It deals with our first theme this year, namely African American History and it is available for free at the moment if you have access to Amazon Prime
Do you have recommendations ?
Contact me about pesonal recommendations you would have for your classmates.
Please include a few words about the subject of the book or film and , if you want, you can also write why you recommend it.